Friday, February 12, 2010

cultural theory

So i have taken a crash course in cultural theory and would now like to reflect upon what I have learned and how my perspectives have changed. I cant believe how small and close minded I have been! I thought that I understood cultural diversity and differences between people but BOY was i wrong. And now im living in one of the most "racist against white people" places ever and I am seeing how I am viewed and im learning when to keep my mouth shut, and at the same time learning how to promote peace. So there is this philosopher and his name is Marx and there are all these other philosophers who are considered Marxist theorists. One of the ones that i paid attention to the most is Adorno. He talks about how the media puts out the stuff that everyone should see and consume. we call it "pop culture" (cough cough brandon) and the media just feeds this crap to you and its all unoriginal and its just re-run vomit from the past. What we consider cool is the same thing that people thought was cool 50 years ago but pop culture disguises this and makes you think you are seeing new original art, movies, clothes, images, ect. But really, once youve seen one romantic comedy, youve seen them all. Then there is original culture or "underground culture" where the working class is almost rising against pop culture by making original art and having original thoughts. man that is so cool! and its making me think... go kill your tv and shut the hell up about high school musical, miley cyrus, and the bachelor! UGH!